Modafinil Vs. Adderall | Benefits, Side Effects, and Comparison
Curious about Modafinil vs. Adderall? Let me break it down for you.
The two wildly popular nootropics have found mainstream acceptance. Both of these “Limitless” kind of drugs are used on college campuses, in boardrooms, offices, and coffee shops around the world.
For many digital nomads, CEOs, young hustlers, and students – smart drugs have become all the rage. Many people looking to get better grades, make more money, or increase productivity have turned to nootropics.
Why? Because Modafinil and Adderall both work.
I know because I’ve tested both products numerous times. You’ll find insane benefits when taking these nootropics properly.
In the right situations, these smart drugs can…
- Heighten focus
- Increase cognition
- Improve productivity and workflow
- Promote a sense of wakefulness
- Offer long-lasting energy
Both Adderall and Modafinil work…but which one is better for you?
Which nootropic is healthier, longer-lasting, and has fewer side effects? For me, that’s a simple answer. There’s a clear winner here.
Let’s dive into this Modafinil vs. Adderall comparison and find out which smart drug is better for you.
In this guide, I’ll cover things like:
- What is Modafinil?
- What is Adderall?
- Modafinil Vs. Adderall | Ultimate Guide
- Modafinil Vs. Adderall Benefits
- Modafinil Vs. Adderall Side Effects
If any one of those specific sections is the information you need to succeed, simply click on the link and you’ll be taken to that section.
For a general overview regarding the Modafinil vs. Adderall debate, simply keep on reading this comprehensive guide.
But before we go any further, I must make one thing painstakingly clear…
This is not medical advice – nor legal advice. I am not a doctor or a medical professional. Certainly not a lawyer. Always consult a doctor before taking any prescription or smart drugs, including Modafinil and Adderall. And make sure to read our terms and condition page.
What is Modafinil?
It’s a drug. A nootropic. A smart drug to be exact.
From a medical definition standpoint, Modafinil is an oral drug created to promote wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness or shift work sleep disorder. Modafinil increases focus by stimulating the brain. Exactly how Modafinil stimulates the brain is unknown.
For all intents and purposes of this article, Modafinil is a smart drug used to increase productivity and focus. Classified as a nootropic, Internet marketers have been raving about the pill for years now (source).
The one interesting thing about Modafinil: it’s not a stimulant.
While Modafinil seemingly acts like a stimulant in certain ways, there’s no jittery feeling and the pill doesn’t act on the brain how stimulants do.
Doctors are still uncertain how the nootropic actually works on the brain, but one thing is sure – it definitely works.
Originally created to treat shift sleep disorder and narcolepsy (source), Modafinil has become a favorite of hustlers worldwide.
There’s a damn good reason why Modafinil has become the world’s most popular smart drug…
What is Adderall?
The pharmaceutical drug was originally created to combat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD (source).
Adderall works by changing how your brain regulates certain natural substances. The smart drug is made out of Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, which allows the drug to stimulate different areas of the brain that control hyperactivity, focus, and impulse control.
While Modafinil is relatively new on the scene, Adderall has been popular with college students for 2-3 decades at this point.
Many consider it to be the “study drug” of choice for finals week or when that big paper is due.
Modafinil Vs. Adderall
I’ve taken Modafinil and Adderall on and off since my college days. I rarely used the drugs more than twice a week. These days I typically take Modafinil 1-3 times a month. Back in college, I used to take Adderall 2-4 times a semester.
While the results of both these nootropics are similar, the way they work and feel is not.
– Modafinil –
When you take a Modafinil, you won’t get the stimulant “high” feeling that other nootropics offer. The “Modafinil high” is smooth and almost relaxing.
You feel the smart drug kick in around an hour after ingestion. The typical dose is between 100-300 mg.
Once kicking, Modafinil offers a clean focus and heightened cognition.
Tasks that usually are tedious become relaxing and enjoyable. You feel like everything just breezes by. Nothing is too difficult.
For example, you might be able to focus on coding or a spreadsheet for 3-5 hours on a typical day. With Modafinil, you’ll probably work on those tasks for -7-12 hours straight.
Modafinil offers a clean energy that’s tough to find anywhere else.
– Adderall –
Adderall is a little different.
After you take this pharmaceutical drug, you’ll start to feel a sense of happiness around the one-hour mark. Personally, Adderall gives me a “high” feeling. Much more than Modafinil.
You’ll start to feel energized. Your body will feel a bit jittery. You may feel more social or happy when using Adderall.
Your mind will enjoy every single task at hand. You could be writing a 10,000-word book report, studying for an accounting final, doing taxes for your business, or invoicing clients for the month…
On Adderall, it’ll all be enjoyable. Everything will be.
Overall, I find Adderall is “stronger” than Modafinil in many ways.
Although, this strength comes with quite a few side effects. These side effects seem to be one of the main reasons why Modafinil has gained so much popularity in recent years.
Modafinil Vs. Adderall Benefits
One is a little bit stronger, while the other offers a better night sleep. But there’s a bit more to it than that.
So let’s dive in…
– Modafinil Benefits –
- Heightened Focus: After taking Modafinil, most users report a heightened sense of focus. This results in increased productivity. Many users enjoy the increased focus and production with the jitters that come from stimulants, like caffeine and Adderall.
- Staying Awake: Modafinil promotes wakefulness in users for 10-15 hours. This is ideal for students or hustlers looking to meet deadlines. Just make sure to take this smart drug in the morning.
- Better Mood: Many users report being “happier” while the active ingredients of Modafinil are in their system. The drug does interact with dopamine, but doctors are still unsure exactly how it works.
- Fewer Side Effects: While this will be discussed more so further down the page, the majority of smart drug users find fewer side effects when using Modafinil vs. Adderall. Other than the occasional sleepless night, many don’t report any side effects after taking this nootropic.
– Adderall Benefits –
- Stronger High: Adderall is often stronger than Modafinil for most users. The smart drug is a stimulant and offers a strong sense of focus, productivity, and overall happiness.
- Energy & Vigor: Due to the stimulant effects of Adderall, most report insane energy levels and intense vigor while the active ingredients are working in the body. Adderall can offer minor changes to one’s personality, in this regard.
- Intense Focus: Due to the stimulants found in Adderall, many experience a level of focus they’ve never felt before after taking a proper Adderall dosage. Tasks that normally take a couple hours may only take one hour on this nootropic.
Modafinil Vs. Adderall Side Effects
Overall, most users report Adderall having more side effects than Modafinil. Typically, the side effects of Adderall are more serious, too.
Here’s what I’ve noted, along with some research-backed claims…
– Modafinil Side Effects –
Most consider taking Modafinil in a proper dosage to be safe and effective. Side effects are usually mild and can include (source):
- Weight Loss
- No Appetite
Shaking, skin rashes, and uncontrolled movements are quite rare – but a few users have experienced these side effects, too.
There doesn’t seem to be any real risk of addiction with Modafinil. For occasional users like myself, this is a huge benefit. I never find myself craving a Modafinil day. I only use the smart drug when I want to crush 10-12 hours of work in a day.
If you’re on other medications or have a previous health condition, it’s important to contact a doctor before taking this smart drug.
– Adderall Side Effects –
While many individuals don’t have any issues taking Adderall, there’s no denying this nootropic offers more side effects than Modafinil.
Adderall may be stronger than Modafinil, but you definitely need to be careful with the smart drug. Common side effects of Adderall include (source):
- Habit forming & addictive: As Adderall is a stimulant, many users start to become addicted to the drug. It is habit forming and some people find themselves want to use the drug more and more.
- Fast, uneven heartbeats
- Tremors or twitching muscles
- Exceptionally high blood pressure
- Pain when urinating
The combination of these side effects often leads to a nasty Adderall “hangover” the following morning. You wake up after taking an Adderall and feel like someone punched you upside the head while you were sleeping.
It’s not pleasant.
Hell, the hangover I got from taking Adderall ended up being the reason I stopped taking the stuff.
Even if I focussed for 12+ hours one day when taking it, I would be completely worthless he next day. That’s simply not productive overall.
Modafinil Vs. Adderall | Verdict?
Personally, I prefer Modafinil.
The “Limitless” pill works well for me, offers no side effects, and I’m crazy productive on days I take it.
While I’ve taken Adderall in the past, I no longer use it. The drug was too harsh for me and offered some side effects.
I didn’t like the fact that I felt hungover the day after using Adderall.
When getting better grades or making more money is on your mind, Modafinil is the go-to nootropic. There just isn’t anything better on the market right now.
And I couldn’t recommend the stuff enough!